Linux client to iSeries access - ODBC
Steinmetz, Paul
2014-10-16 17:43:37 UTC
I have a request to access the iSeries from a Linux client.
Should I get the iSeries Access for Linux or Client Access Solutions-Linux Application Package 5733-XJ1.
I'm not sure if iSeries Access for Linux is still available for download.
iSeries Access products no longer being enhanced, developed, will not be supported on Win9.
"IBM i Access for Windows 7.1 is the most current version available. It will not be refreshed for IBM i release 7.2. IBM i Access for Windows 7.1 will connect to any supported IBM i release."
Anyone currently using either of the two solutions?

Thank You
_____
Paul Steinmetz
IBM i Systems Administrator

Pencor Services, Inc.
462 Delaware Ave
Palmerton Pa 18071

610-826-9117 work
610-826-9188 fax
610-349-0913 cell
610-377-6012 home

psteinmetz-3xFsXxMo6CTQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org
http://www.pencor.com/
Bryan Dietz
2014-10-16 18:58:55 UTC
for Linux I would look to use the newer client:

IBM i Access Client Solutions client
http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/access/solutions.html

you can still get the "old" linux client
ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/as400/

iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.6.i386.rpm
iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.6.ppc.rpm
iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.6.ppc64.rpm
iSeriesAccess-5.4.0-1.6.x86_64.rpm
iSeriesAccess-6.1.0-1.0.i386.rpm
iSeriesAccess-6.1.0-1.0.ppc.rpm
iSeriesAccess-6.1.0-1.0.ppc64.rpm
iSeriesAccess-6.1.0-1.0.x86_64.rpm

--
Bryan
Steinmetz, Paul
2014-10-16 20:02:30 UTC
Bryan,

Thanks for the info.
I probably will use the newer client.
I notice for the old client, the list stops at 6.1.0.
Was there ever a 7.1.0 Linux client?

Paul

This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: MIDRANGE-L-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
Bryan Dietz
2014-10-16 20:43:27 UTC
I do not think so. The "old" V6.1 client does connect to a V7.1 server.

when installing the new ACS (access client solutions) be sure to get the
latest updates.
I have been using this FTP site for updates:
ftp://public.dhe.ibm.com/as400/products/clientaccess/solutions/updates/
(oh look there is a new update released today!)

the base client that you get from the entitled software site might not
have that update(yet)

Bryan
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-16 19:17:57 UTC
Not to be a .... but how do that want to access the iSeries? Browse it's
web serving? List it's files from it's ftp server? Get a list of shares
provided by it? Access databases remotely with SQL? Use a graphical
interface to perform operations? Access it with a text based telnet type
client?

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: "Steinmetz, Paul" <PSteinmetz-3xFsXxMo6CTQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org>
To: "'midrange-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org'" <midrange-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>
Date: 10/16/2014 01:43 PM
Subject: Linux client to iSeries access - ODBC
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>

[...]

list
Steinmetz, Paul
2014-10-16 20:03:03 UTC
Rob,

Pete Helgren
2014-10-16 20:42:30 UTC
Probably a broader tool than you need but SQuirreL is pretty handy and I
use it on both Windows and Linux to access my DB2 for i data (and the
other DB's I have on i)....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
Rob,
Bryan Dietz
2014-10-16 20:48:00 UTC
did not even think about JT400 until you mentioned Squirrel.
but the JTOPEN
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jt400/
project does contain an ODBC driver(plus other stuff).

bryan
Charles Wilt