I_Base Install DVD differences
Pete Helgren
2014-10-15 18:26:18 UTC
I just downloaded V7R1 media set to make sure I had the latest a
greatest. I had done so a few years back and except for some very small
size differences, nothing had changed much. Except the I_BASE_01
image. It was 691,806 bytes in size in 2011 and now it is 2,437,920
bytes (the downloaded image was:
I_BASE_01_Licensed_Machine_Code_RS_710-K_LCD8_1902_05.udf) So I am
curious as to what accounts for the difference. The new I_BASE_01 is a
udf format but it seems to also be much larger.

I am going to upgrade my 6.1.1 partition and just want to make sure I
pulled down the right stuff and the difference in the I_BASE_01 image
was big enough that I thought I might post the question before I forge
blindly on....
--
Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 18:42:30 UTC
You know, it's not the size that concerns me. It's that UDF extension. I
think a few of us have had issues with that. I would run that through the
verify long before critical time rolls around. And if you got a spare
evening maybe even test booting from it. I'm rather fond of .ISO.

Older hardware that tops out at 7.1? Is that why you're not going to 7.2?

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Pete Helgren <pete-Zu8YH0YT5ejQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>
Date: 10/15/2014 02:26 PM
Subject: I_Base Install DVD differences
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>

[...]

list
Pete Helgren
2014-10-15 19:10:42 UTC
Thanks Rob...I am not going to 7.2 because I forgot there was one so .....

I'll start another 8 hour download tonight....not sure why I didn't
think of upgrading to 7.2 (I think a Power 6 JS12 blade can run 7.2).
But the .udf extensions are a concern to me as well (I also prefer the
tried and true .iso format) . I should be able to just load all the
.udf's into an image catalog and be done with it (right?). The the
verify and boot suggestions are appreciated.

Aw snap! I'll also need the CUME, groups and hipers for 7.2 (already
have the 7.1 bundle). There goes another 4 hours.....

r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 19:34:04 UTC
Pete,

Do you see your system at:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssm1platformibmi

Not that this web site is the 'end all, be all'. For example, a Power 6
9117-MMA is supposed to support 7.2. However, when you carry over certain
expansion units and cards like I did it can only be done if you've also
won 37 consecutive games of "Twister".

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Pete Helgren
2014-10-15 20:02:04 UTC
7998 60x - Yep. It's there. And I got nothing special to worry about
except I DO need to double check VIOS level requirements
though....everything on that blade is on top of VIOS.

More digging....

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
Pete,
Roberto José Etcheverry Romero
2014-10-15 21:03:04 UTC
In reference to the recording of the images IBM images work perfectly with
the open source tool IMGBURN, with that i've written .iso, .bin and .udf
from IBM without any problems.

Best Regards,

Roberto
Post by Pete Helgren
7998 60x - Yep. It's there. And I got nothing special to worry about
except I DO need to double check VIOS level requirements
though....everything on that blade is on top of VIOS.
More digging....
Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
Pete,
DrFranken
2014-10-15 19:16:03 UTC
THE biggest and most important difference is that the current ReSpin
contains current PTFs. For i 7.1 (and soon 7.2) that means TRs as well.
Think about it: If you took the original 7.1 LIC RSA it won't even boot
on a Power7! 7.1 came out before Power7 so you couldn't even install.
With TR8 you can boot and install on a Power8 machine. Of course having
all those fixes in the LIC already also saves you A LOT of time on PTFs
too so additional bonus. MOST of the rest of the images don't change but
the first IBM i image will as it also contains some updates for the TRs.

I personally wouldn't worry about the UDF although I know others have
had issues when they try to make plastic from them. In an Image Catalog
they work fine.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 19:31:11 UTC
My issue may have been trying to make plastic out of them. Normally I use
image catalogs. But lately I've been making a wee bit of plastic for
system initialization.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600