IBM iAccess
Jon Paris
2014-10-16 22:29:10 UTC
Since it is the official IBM solution I’m trying to use this new product on my Mac. To say I’m disappointed/underwhelmed so far is to put it mildly.

No hot-spot recognition that I can find (unlike TN5250J, Mochasoft and others).

Doesn’t even pretend to be a native app. Other Java based tools that I use appear just like any other Mac app. This one launches a terminal window (DOS prompt for the Windows’ites) which _has_ to remain active or the app dies. This despite the fact that it is documented as Mac specific.

Any other Mac users got any suggestions for me before I just give up and go back to wrestling with customizing TN5250J?

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
Aaron Bartell

at http://archive.midrange.com/midrang
Jon Paris
2014-10-16 23:09:02 UTC
At least it is not just me then Aaron.

Thanks.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
at http://archive.midran
Richard Schoen
2014-10-17 02:41:17 UTC
Windows and VMware :-)

If you're going to run an emulator it might as well be a Windows one :-)

Regards,

Richard Schoen | Director of Document Management Technologies, HelpSystems
T: + 1 952-486-6802
RJS Software Systems | A Division of HelpSystems
richard.schoen-j27LsU0iTkRmbZtjAW+***@public.gmane.org
www.rjssoftware.com
------------------------------

message: 3
date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 18:29:10 -0400
from: Jon Paris <jon.paris-POB326TCWb+***@public.gmane.org>
subject: IBM iAccess

Since it is the official IBM solution I?m trying to use this new product on my Mac. To say I?m disappointed/underwhelmed so far is to put it mildly.

No hot-spot recognition that I can find (unlike TN5250J, Mochasoft and others).

Doesn?t even pretend to be a native app. Other Java based tools that I use appear just like any other Mac app. This one launches a terminal window (DOS prompt for the Windows?ites) which _has_ to remain active or the app dies. This despite the fact that it is documented as Mac specific.

Any other Mac users got any suggestions for me before I just give up and go back to wrestling with customizing TN5250J?

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

_______________

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.

Jon Paris
2014-10-17 14:10:21 UTC
I use Parallels actually Richard - but I do as little in Windows as possible.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
Holger Scherer
2014-10-17 14:14:06 UTC
We're running an almost windows-free office here on Mac (even old G5 imacs).

If Windows is needed, we have VMWare Fusion which runs rather good.
For 5250 emulation we are also stuck with the tn5250j client and the shell window
(personally, i just ignore these windows). On the PPC machines, we use
the mochasoft client.

IBM Client Access is installed inside a VM on a VMWare Host if someone needs it.

-h
Jeffrey Tickner
2014-10-17 14:13:22 UTC
I started using this also on my Mac (10.9.5).
The IBM i Access Client Solutions.app that is supposed to launch doesn’t work, I put a shortcut to the acsmain.jar on my toolbar to launch
I don’t get any kind of terminal window, just the management window I can launch the emulators (etc) from.
The emulator seems to work pretty well from my usage so far.
The absence of the normal mac menu function, preferences etc isn’t a huge deal to me.

You would think with this new partnership with Apple that IBM would be offering better OSX support, like RDi!

Thanks

Jeff Tickner
Arcad Software
Paul Raulerson
2014-10-17 20:59:40 UTC
I love the iAccess client on my Mac. It is a lot better for me than most of the other Mac Emulators, all of which has some annoying characteristic or other. Guess I am not in the majority! :)

I actually still like the old PWC emulator that ran on Windows 95. It had great mainframe, iSeries, and even ascii emulation on it, and served my needs just perfectly.

-Paul

Jon Paris
2014-10-17 21:54:04 UTC
Wanna share a bit about how you run it, configured it, etc.

If I can get rid of the ones I’m currently using I’d be very happy - but this thing is giving me grief.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
Post by Richard Schoen
Post by Richard Schoen
Since it is the official IBM solution I?m trying to use this new product on my Mac. To say I?m disappointed/underwhelmed so far is to put it mildly.
No hot-spot recognition that I can find (unlike TN5250J, Mochasoft and others).
Doesn?t even pretend to be a native app. Other Java based tools that I use appear just like any other Mac app. This one launches a terminal window (DOS prompt for the Windows?ites) which _has_ to remain active or the app dies. This despite the fact that it is documented as Mac specific.
Any other Mac users got any suggestions for me before I just give up and go back to wrestling with customizing TN5250J?
Post by Richard Schoen
Jon Paris
www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
Post by Richard Schoen
Post by Richard Schoen
_______________
Richard Rosenbluth
2014-10-17 08:11:35 UTC
Hotspots are supported. Edit > Preferences > Hotspots

It would be nice if the Function Key keypad (View > Keypad) worked all
the time and was customizable. It does get around the problem with OS X
keeping control of the 'F' keys.

The need to keep the terminal session active and visible _is_ really
annoying.
--
Richard Rosenbluth
Rose Information Management Co
Justin Taylor
2014-10-20 13:44:24 UTC
IBM's suggestion is to either turn off the Mac specific function keys or to use the pop-up keypad. Neither sound like good options to me, but my single Mac user doesn't use the Mac function keys so that wasn't an issue.
CRPence
2014-10-21 15:50:07 UTC
Post by Justin Taylor
IBM's suggestion is to either turn off the Mac specific function keys
or to use the pop-up keypad. Neither sound like good options to me,
but my single Mac user doesn't use the Mac function keys so that
wasn't an issue.
If the "turn off" is a actually reference to the simple *toggle* of
the default for the capability the "fn" key provides, then I offer that
I had made that change the first time I added and used a 5250 emulator
on the Mac. And I have, pardon the cliché, _never looked back_.

That toggle is activated via a checkbox entitled "Use all F1, F2,
etc. keys as standard function keys; When this option is selected, press
the Fn key to use the _special features_ printed on each key." and
located in the menu path "Apple\Cmd->System_Preferences->Keyboard".

The requirement forthwith and since to use the "fn" key to activate
the Mac "special features" [their builtin overrides to the function
keys], has never been a problem. In fact, I can honestly state that I
was quite delighted that I no longer had to press the "fn" key to use
the function keys F1-F12; I had been immediately frustrated that the
F-keys that were so clearly labeled, did not function as seemed so
clearly advertised. Given how rarely I activate the "special features"
[described almost exclusively with icons and performing hardware vs
software functions; e.g. adjust volume, contrast, etc.], the extra
key-press since required to perform those hardware functions is not ever
a bother.
--
Regards, Chuck
Jon Paris
2014-10-21 16:04:59 UTC
I had activated that option Chuck and on my previous machine (Mountain Lion) it worked just fine. On my new machine running Mavericks the F12 key still does its “mac thing” - no doubt if I contact Apple they will tell me how to fix it but just to warn others that the single option may not fix all of the F key issues.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
Justin Taylor
2014-10-21 16:45:06 UTC
Here's the KB article IBM referenced about the function keys:
Justin Taylor
2014-10-21 16:52:09 UTC
Here's the KB article that IBM referenced about the functions keys:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3399

That took care of it and all function keys worked on a brand new Mac (whatever the current OS is).

The only other problem I had, was getting a shortcut set up. I keep the app on our NetServer and set up a shortcut on each Desktop that opens a local workstation file using the network app. The first problem with that, was that I couldn't get Mac to accept a UNC path for the shortcut so we had to auto-mount a drive. The second problem was that the shortcut wouldn't let me pass in the local workstation file as a parameter. We got around that by making an executable script. Of course, this is all moot for a local install.
Jon Paris
2014-10-21 20:07:52 UTC
That’s the option I had used Justin - but on my machine I also had to go into Keyboard / Shortcuts / Mission Control and then deselect Show Desktop (F11) and Show Dashboard (F12). Until I did that the iAccess screens never saw the F11 and F12 keys.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
Aaron Bartell
2014-10-21 12:38:52 UTC
Hello all,

IBM has been following this thread and I am now learning there is more to
the story than what I gave IBM credit for. Specifically, I didn't read the
documentation (did I mention I was once lost while driving and refused to
ask for directions? ;-)

One of the beefs I had was the app didn't follow the "Mac way" of
installation. Well, turns out the documentation tells you how to do that.
I believe many will just want a single approach to installing the
application so I created a SO post** to address it. Please up-vote the
entry as some people have already down-voted it saying the *question*
didn't show enough research (good grief).

**
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26486630/how-do-i-install-ibm-i-access-for-mac

Aaron Bartell
at http://archive.
David Gibbs
2014-10-21 13:21:52 UTC
Post by Aaron Bartell
One of the beefs I had was the app didn't follow the "Mac way" of
installation. Well, turns out the documentation tells you how to do
that. I believe many will just want a single approach to installing
the application so I created a SO post** to address it. Please
up-vote the entry as some people have already down-voted it saying
the *question* didn't show enough research (good grief).
And now it's on the Midrange Wiki.

http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/Client_Access#Install_IBM_i_Access_for_Mac

(and upvoted on SF)

david
--
IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business!

I'm riding a metric century (100 km / 62 miles) in the 2015 American Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research, education, advocacy, and awareness. You can make a tax deductible donation to my ride by visiting http://email.diabetessucks.net. My goal is $5500 but any amount is appreciated.

See where I get my donations from ... visit http://email.diabetessucks.net/mapdonations.php for an interactive map (it's a geeky thing).
Jim Oberholtzer
2014-10-21 13:53:25 UTC
I've been arguing that while the documentation is complete, it is written for someone who already knows the product. It also lacks the scripts/documentation for proper installations. That said, it's a jar file so you can just drop it in and go, but that's not what we are used to in this community. I know the guys working on this and they are good and dedicated. We just need to give them some more guidance about what needs to be done.

Thanks for putting this together.

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect

Jon Paris
2014-10-21 16:07:44 UTC
Not really a “drop and go” Jim - unless you don’t mind having the “extra window”a round all the time.

But as you say - the documentation while complete is not only aimed at people who know the product (I haven’t used the CA emulators for more than 8 years) and are command line jockeys.

Product excellent - docs tend to have the emphasis on the wrong syllable!

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
Jon Paris
2014-10-21 16:02:11 UTC
Since I started this thread I thought it appropriate to add my comments to Aaron’s.

Following Aaron’s instructions as posted on SO (Stack Overflow for those who don’t know it) I have now successfully installed the product and I must say that now that it is working properly I am more than happy with it. It is a BIG improvement over the Mochasoft emulator I have been using for the past 7 years. IBM seem to have done a really nice job on the software. Still wrestling with where to find a few of the settings etc. which aren’t where I expect to find them. e.g. Hotspot configuration only apparently available from within the 5250 window but not from the 5250 Session Manager configuration option.

The documentation and install process still needs work. It seems to try to to be all things to all people and in my opinion just doesn’t work. Linux/Unix folks may be used to diving for the command line to do every little thing but Mac users typically don’t. I’ve met many Mac users who don’t even know they have a command line interface! I’ll be passing comments directly to IBM on how to improve it. Most Mac installs follow a pattern and are normally simpler by far than those for Windows - this doesn’t fit the pattern and requires that you actually read the instructions - shock - horror - who does that?

Just as a warning to anybody who tries to tries to follow Aaron’s instructions - I could not get it to work initially. By default Safari was unpacking the zip file and for some reason even if I moved it to the applications folder and started Aaron's sequence there it just would not work. “No such directory” type errors. Didn’t investigate further - just stopped Safari from unzipping the file and all then worked as advertised.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
John Yeung
2014-10-21 16:52:42 UTC
Post by Jon Paris
Most Mac installs follow a pattern and are normally simpler by far than those for Windows - this doesn’t fit the pattern and requires that you actually read the instructions - shock - horror - who does that?
There's no reason to bring up Windows. It's completely and utterly
irrelevant to this thread. But you chose to do so, and only to
disparage it.

The fact is, I don't think you're a typical Windows user. I have been
a Unix user and a Windows user, happily in both cases; and I have
tried to be a Mac user, and my experience has been exactly opposite to
yours:

Most Windows installs follow a pattern and are normally simpler by far
than those for Mac.

Maybe you have been particularly unlucky with Windows installs, and I
have been particularly unlucky with Mac installs. For me, the pattern
on Windows is this:

1. Download the installer.
2. Run the installer.
3. Use the installed product.

I don't see how the Mac could be "normally far simpler" than that. I
would imagine that it's designed to be about equally simple.

Lots of people I trust and respect love Macs. I have tried to use my
wife's Mac many times, and all it does is frustrate me.

John Y.
at http://archive.midrang
Jon Paris
2014-10-21 20:14:38 UTC
What on earth has got your goat John?

In what conceivable universe can the statement "Most Mac installs follow a pattern and are normally simpler by far than those for Windows” be considered disparaging?

I was a Windows user for many many years, and while I prefer to use my Mac whenever possible I do sometimes still have to install and use Windows software. It is MY OPINION that Mac software is generally easier to install than Windows. Period. If you find the opposite that is your opinion - but I didn’t disparage anything.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
John Yeung
2014-10-21 21:08:53 UTC
Post by Jon Paris
In what conceivable universe can the statement "Most Mac
installs follow a pattern and are normally simpler by far than
those for Windows” be considered disparaging?
In any universe where simplicity is valued. If you hadn't said "by
far", I would have still disagreed, but I might not have bothered to
respond.

John Y.
Before posting, please take a moment to review the
Jon Paris
2014-10-21 23:08:48 UTC
Our definitions of “simplicity” clearly differ as obviously do our understandings of the meaning of the word “disparaging”.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-21 17:03:07 UTC
Jon,

As to the install process needing work or not working like Apple users
aren't used to, well, it doesn't work like Windows does either. I suspect
that IBM got tired of Windows Installer getting so complicated and
requiring so much authority that they gave up. The old IBM i Access for
Windows hasn't been able to roll out an upgrade easily via Check Service
Level for quite some time due to all the changes in Windows. IBM tried to
work with it with technotes and what not but no longer. Enough was
enough. I really doubt that IBM is going to take a package that's
supposed to run on multiple platforms and make the installation look more
like what Apple users are use to.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Jon Paris <***@partner400.com>
To: Midrange-L Midrange-l <midrange-***@midrange.com>
Date: 10/21/2014 12:02 PM
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-***@midrange.com>

Post by Aaron Bartell
Hello all,
IBM has been following this thread and I am now learning there is more to
the story than what I gave IBM credit for. Specifically, I didn't read the
documentation (did I mention I was once lost while driving and refused to
ask for directions? ;-)
One of the beefs I had was the app didn't follow the "Mac way" of
installation. Well, turns out the documentation tells you how to do that.
I believe many will just want a single approach to installing the
application so I created a SO post** to address it. Please up-vote the
entry as some people have already down-voted it saying the *question*
didn't show enough research (good grief).
**
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26486630/how-do-i-install-ibm-i-access-for-mac
Post by Aaron Bartell
Aaron Bartell
Post by Jon Paris
Since it is the official IBM solution I’m trying to use this new product
on my Mac. To say I’m disappointed/underwhelmed so far is to put it mildly.
No hot-spot recognition that I can find (unlike TN5250J, Mochasoft and others).
Doesn’t even pretend to be a native app. Other Java based tools that I use
appear just like any other Mac app. This one launches a terminal window
(DOS prompt for the Windows’ites) which _has_ to remain active or the app
dies. This despite the fact that it is documented as Mac specific.
Any other Mac users got any suggestions for me before I just give up and
Jon Paris
www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com
list