determine if smtp active (batch pgm)
Jim Franz
2014-10-16 20:43:46 UTC
Need to determine if email can be sent, but do not want to start smtp if
it's down (monitoring certain system activity and if smtp is down it's down
for a reason).
Have not found a cmd or api.
V7R1

Jim Franz
Bradley Stone
2014-10-16 21:06:35 UTC
Jim,

Check for active jobs named QTMSTM* and QMSF.

Now, this doesn't mean emails can be sent, though, but it will tell you if
SMTP is active.

Brad
www.bvstools.com
Jim Franz
2014-10-16 21:14:00 UTC
What is the difference between QTMSTM* and QTSMTP* - I've seen the QTSMTP
in previous (old) posts

Jim
Post by Jim Franz
Need to determine if email can be sent, but do not want to start smtp if
it's down (monitoring certain system activity and if smtp is down it's
down
Post by Jim Franz
for a reason).
Have not found a cmd or api.
V7R1
Jim Franz
list
Bradley Stone
2014-10-16 23:07:54 UTC
Sorry, a typo. Should be QTSMTP*

I'm to used to QTMHHTTP sometimes my brain farts out that M in there out of
habbit.

Brad
www.bvstools.com
Post by Bradley Stone
Jim,
Check for active jobs named QTMSTM* and QMSF.
Now, this doesn't mean emails can be sent, though, but it will tell you
if
Post by Bradley Stone
SMTP is active.
Brad
www.bvstools.com
Post by Bradley Stone
Post by Jim Franz
it's down (monitoring certain system activity and if smtp is down it's
down
Post by Jim Franz
for a reason).
Have not found a cmd or api.
V7R1
Jim Franz
list
Post by Jim Franz
list
Bradley Stone
2014-10-16 23:11:18 UTC
I also should mention our JOBWATCH sofware at www.bvstools.com/jobwatch.html
allows you to enter jobs to search for to make sure they're running, and
run a command or program if they're not (ie, to send an email notification,
etc).

So you can tell it "Check to make sure a minimum of 4 jobs named QTSMTP*
are running and if not, run a program/command."

Brad
www.bvstools.com
Post by Bradley Stone
Jim,
Check for active jobs named QTMSTM* and QMSF.
Now, this doesn't mean emails can be sent, though, but it will tell you
if
Post by Bradley Stone
SMTP is active.
Brad
www.bvstools.com
Post by Bradley Stone
Post by Jim Franz
it's down (monitoring certain system activity and if smtp is down it's
down
Post by Jim Franz
for a reason).
Have not found a cmd or api.
V7R1
Jim Franz
list
Post by Jim Franz
list
Bryan Dietz
2014-10-16 21:38:45 UTC
Maybe this idea from Scott would work. CHKSVR

http://forums.iprodeveloper.com/forums/aft/41446

I took that code and expanded to a "port scanner"
http://bryandietz.us/scanhost.html

--
Bryan
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-17 11:20:37 UTC
We send an email to a yahoo account from IBM i periodically. We've set
something up with Yahoo to automatically forward the email back into our
corporate email. We have a lotus agent that says if it hasn't received an
email in a certain amount of time to initiate corrective actions.
We consider this an end-to-end test.
Tests sending from IBM i.
Tests our Domino based SMTP gateway.
Tests our internet connection.
Tests that Message Labs is forwarding on correctly.
Tests that Yahoo hasn't blocked us.
Tests that Yahoo can still send through Message Labs.
Tests that the internet's DNS servers haven't screwed up again and dropped
us.
Tests that Message Labs is still routing into our Domino based SMTP
server.
Tests that our Domino based SMTP server is running.
Tests that the Domino based SMTP server is routing to the Domino mail
server(s).

And another Domino agent on a different server checks the checker.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Jim Franz <franz9000-***@public.gmane.org>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>
Date: 10/16/2014 04:44 PM
Subject: determine if smtp active (batch pgm)
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>

CRPence
2014-10-18 22:45:51 UTC
Post by Jim Franz
Need to determine if email can be sent, but do not want to start
SMTP if it's down (monitoring certain system activity and if SMTP is
down it's down for a reason).
Have not found a CMD or API.
V7R1
Might the List Network Connections (QtocLstNetCnn) API ["returns a
non-detailed list of all the network connections for a specified net
connection type or a list of the subset of network connections for a
specified net connection."], perhaps in combination with Retrieve
Network Connection Data (QtocRtvNetCnnDta) API ["retrieves the details
of any specified connection-including jobs using the connection."], be
helpful in that regard? Both of those APIs are in the Service Program
QTOCNETSTS which I expect encompasses the functions of the Work With
TCP/IP Network Status (WRKTCPSTS) menu [aka NETSTAT]. I am not sure,
but I expect the first API can retrieve what is presented via the
option-3 Work With TCP/IP Connection Status from that menu, and that the
second API can retrieve what is presented via 8=Display Jobs against any
specific connection.? Links to those and other TCP/IP APIs:

<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_72/apis/comm8.htm>
_TCP/IP Management_
"The TCP/IP Management APIs can be used to retrieve information about
your TCP/IP setup and status and to change certain system values related
to TCP/IP.

The TCP/IP Management APIs are:
..."
--