How to prepare disk on a Power 6 Suse Linux partition for sale or lease return
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 15:28:46 UTC
Again, I am not looking for a DOD rated wipe.

I am preparing my last Power 6 for lease return. I have all the IBM i
disk initialized. But I have some in here that is labeled pSeries disk
(down to the labels on the drives themselves). These were used by my Suse
Linux lpar. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 installation program v3.3.91
(aka SLES 11).
I had a thread going at DeveloperWorks at
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/topic?id=8f6fff74-1be6-486f-8a21-f6ab5d790bcc
but something went haywire there and my posts are marked as spam now. I
suspect the words "for sale" in the subject line.

I did the following:
Used the HMC to set the partition profile settings to boot to SMS.
I also changed the partition properties boot keylock position to Manual.
Then I said to activate the profile, using the advanced button to ensure
that it was set to Manual and SMS. I also told it to open up a terminal
window or console session.

At this menu:
Version EL350_149
SMS 1.7 (c) Copyright IBM Corp. 2000,2008 All rights reserved.

Main Menu
1. Select Language
2. Setup Remote IPL (Initial Program Load)
3. Change SCSI Settings
4. Select Console
5. Select Boot Options
I took
5. Select Boot Options

At this menu:
Multiboot
1. Select Install/Boot Device
2. Configure Boot Device Order
3. Multiboot Startup <OFF>
4. SAN Zoning Support
I took
1. Select Install/Boot Device

At this menu:
Select Device Type
1. Diskette
2. Tape
3. CD/DVD
4. IDE
5. Hard Drive
6. Network
7. List all Devices
I took
7. List all Devices

When presented with these choices:
Select Device
Device Current Device
Number Position Name
1. 1 SCSI CD-ROM
( loc=U0588.001.012EF8C-CB1-C14-T1-L1-L0 )
2. 2 SCSI 1463 GB Harddisk
( loc=U0595.001.13230A8-CB1-C01-T5-L0-L0 )
I selected the first, the SCSI CD-ROM.
Select Task
SCSI CD-ROM
( loc=U0588.001.012EF8C-CB1-C14-T1-L1-L0 )
1. Information
2. Normal Mode Boot
3. Service Mode Boot
I selected:
3. Service Mode Boot

When presented with:
Are you sure you want to exit System Management Services?
1. Yes
2. No
I selected
1. Yes

When presented with:
Welcome to SuSE Linux Enterprise 11!
Type "install" to start the YaST installer on this CD/DVD
Type "slp" to start the YaST install via network
Type "rescue" to start the rescue system on this CD/DVD
Welcome to yaboot version r22.8-r1190.SuSE
booted from
'/***@800000020000120/***@2,4/pci1069,***@1/***@0/***@1,0:1,\suseboot\ya
boot.ibm'
running with firmware 'IBM,EL350_149' on model 'IBM,8203-E4A', serial
'IBM,0210813C5'
, partition 'deletemeLinux'
Enter "help" to get some basic usage information
boot:
In entered in rescue.

After quite some time I was given this menu:
Main Menu
1) Start Installation
2) Settings
3) Expert
4) Exit or Reboot

Last time I tried 3) Expert. I could use ls to list files and whatnot.
However I couldn't use fdisk as it kept telling me it wasn't found. Tried
changing into various directories but I couldn't find it.

Any suggestions?

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com
Kirk Goins
2014-10-15 17:04:46 UTC
Since I ma and i guy...
Heck I would create an LPAR ( or use one already cfg'd ) and point those
and only those disks to that LPAR, boot/install LIC which will init the
loadsource then use DST to init the others.
r***@public.gmane.org

From: Kirk Goins <kirkgoins-***@public.gmane.org>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>
Date: 10/15/2014 01:05 PM
Subject: Re: How to prepare disk on a Power 6 Suse Linux partition
for sale or lease return
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>

Post by r***@public.gmane.org
changing into various directories but I couldn't find it.
Any suggestions?
Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com
Kirk
list
Kirk Goins
2014-10-15 17:16:06 UTC
So the drives are non-supported for the Power6? Typically the only
difference is the sector/block size. I have formatted 300GB back to 283GB
in the past and 146GB back to 139s or gone the other way.
Won't work.
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 17:24:04 UTC
No, they work fine for the Power 6. As long as they are used by Linux or
AIX and not IBM i.
I would rather avoid any low level formatting that might confuse the
bejeebers out of the leasing company.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Kirk Goins
Roberto José Etcheverry Romero
2014-10-15 17:35:24 UTC
Rob,

Those disks work either for Linux or AIX. i would pop an AIX diagnostic
disk and move all the disks from hdisk to pdisk to hdisk (array candidate
and back). That is if you have a raid controller. Otherwise i would muck
around the diag options, there's gotta be an "initialize" or "certify" disk.
Worst case? plug them into a normal server and just erase them there. (any
xSeries or SystemX server with those bays can use those disks)

Best Regards,
Date: 10/15/2014 01:16 PM
for sale or lease return
So the drives are non-supported for the Power6? Typically the only
difference is the sector/block size. I have formatted 300GB back to 283GB
in the past and 146GB back to 139s or gone the other way.
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Won't work.
But I have some in here that is labeled pSeries disk (down to the
labels
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
on the drives themselves)
Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com
Date: 10/15/2014 01:05 PM
partition
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
[...]
,0:1,\suseboot\ya
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
changing into various directories but I couldn't find it.
Any suggestions?
Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com
mailing
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
list
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Kirk
list
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Kirk
list
Post by r***@public.gmane.org
Kirk
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 17:55:01 UTC
Ok, so at this menu:
Main Menu
1) Start Installation
2) Settings
3) Expert
4) Exit or Reboot
I selected
1) Start Installation

This brought me to:
Start Installation
1) Start Installation or Update
2) Boot Installed System
3) Start Rescue System
I selected
3) Start Rescue System

Then I was presented with:
Choose the source medium.
1) DVD / CD-ROM
2) Network
3) Hard Disk
I selected
1) DVD / CD-ROM

At the linux login I logged in with root with no password.
I then ran
fdisk -l
and received
Disk /dev/sda: 1571.4 GB, 1571437936640 bytes
128 heads, 32 sectors/track, 749320 cylinders, total 3069214720 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa11c0d00
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 4259840 4263935 2048 41 PPC PReP Boot
/dev/sda2 45056 4259839 2107392 82 Linux swap /
Solaris
/dev/sda3 4674915 1116067679 555696382+ 83 Linux

This must be some sort of logical instead of physical disk thing. There's
a number of physical disks in there that probably add up to that 1.5TB.

The next thing I ran was
shred -vfz -n 10 /dev/sda3
See also:
http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-securely-destroy-wipe-data-on-hard-drives-with-shred
This is taking quite some time. I'm going to call that success.
When that is done I will try
shred -vfz -n 10 /dev/sda2
shred -vfz -n 10 /dev/sda1
shred -vfz -n 3 /dev/sda