adjust wait time to acquire an object
Gary Thompson
2014-10-23 13:21:53 UTC
Is there a way to specify the amount of time a program waits for a resource ?
For example, is there a way to tell the OS that I only want to wait 15 seconds to read and lock a data area ?
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-23 15:03:14 UTC
See:

ALCOBJ
Wait time . . . . . . . . . . . WAIT

CHGJOB
Default wait time . . . . . . . DFTWAIT

DSPSBSD
7. Routing entries
5=Display details
Class . .
Library
Then
WRKCLS

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Gary Thompson <gthompson-***@public.gmane.org>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>
Date: 10/23/2014 10:55 AM
Subject: adjust wait time to acquire an object
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>

Is there a way to specify the amount of time a program waits for a
resource ?
For example, is there a way to tell the OS that I only want to wait 15
seconds to read and lock a data area ?
list

Gary Thompson
2014-10-23 15:05:22 UTC
Doh, two good eyes but I just don't see!

Chris Bipes
2014-10-23 15:05:33 UTC
CHGJOB DFTWAIT(15)

Will set the wait time for the job.

For just an object:
ALCOBJ OBJ((LIB/DATAAREA *DTAARA *SHRNUP))
WAIT(15)

Make sure you can allocate the data area for how you need to use it.

Chris Bipes
Director of Information Services
CrossCheck, Inc.

John R. Smith, Jr.
2014-10-23 15:23:57 UTC
Just be careful shortening times. I previously worked in an Island Pacific
environment which HEAVILY uses PF and LF members. Our system admin decided
60 seconds was too long of a wait time so he changed everything to a couple
seconds. With the amount of activity on some files, the system could not get
the lock it needed to add or remove a member in that short period of time
and jobs blew up all over the place. That was quite a while ago and systems
are much faster and probably handle adding and removing members more
efficiently but thought it was worth pointing out.

Is there a way to specify the amount of time a program waits for a resource
?

Gary Thompson
2014-10-23 15:38:12 UTC
Sounds like good advice, I'm working on my test pgm, starting with 5 sec to do a 'Data Area In'.
The Data Area is a 'token' that must be acquired before updating file members, so I hope to
avoid the mess you describe by forcing two separate jobs to first 'acquire the token' by being
able to lock/read/update/release said Data Area. The other requirement is the value in the
data area must be a pre-determined value, else the program must release the data area and
try later.

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: MIDRANGE-L-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.

Roger Harman
2014-10-23 18:07:04 UTC
Ahhh, the dreaded Island Pacific File Groups (AKA Members). I remember them well. Could be frustrating at times but they did segregate the work.

Roger HarmanCOMMON Certified Application Developer – ILE RPG on IBM i on PowerOCEAN User Group – Vice-President, Membership (2014)