What OS feature is OPNQRYF?
Thomas Garvey
2014-10-15 16:09:42 UTC
Anyone know how to find out what OS licensed program and feature code is
necessary for OPNQRYF to function on v6 of the OS?

Yeah, I know there are better ways to do stuff, but I am trying to solve
a client issue.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey
James H. H. Lampert
2014-10-15 16:19:59 UTC
Post by Thomas Garvey
Anyone know how to find out what OS licensed program and feature code is
necessary for OPNQRYF to function on v6 of the OS?
I was always under the impression that it's always been part of the base OS.

Am I mistaken?

--
JHHL
Thomas Garvey
2014-10-15 16:28:19 UTC
My reason for asking is that a process is sending a message that IBM
software 5761SS1 feature 5117 has 0 users authorized and 71 days, etc.
5117 (on a v6 system) is supposed to be the High Availability Journal
Performance feature.

However, the process is not using any journal commands but has an
OPNQRYF command being used.
So, I'm wondering how an expiration message for a HA Journaling
Performance LP would occur when an OPNQRYF command should be running.
It occurred to me that the LP that includes OPNQRYF might not actually
be in use or active at this client since OPNQRYF is kind of ancient
methodology.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey
<www.unpath.com>
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 16:35:04 UTC
I think that the SIGNOFF command has just as much likelihood of generating
that error as does the OPNQRYF command. Some license messages are just
repeated at periodic intervals until you either get a license for it or
remove it from the system.

BTW, if you are doing much journalling that option of the OS is so very
much worth it. Definitely. Without any doubt. I have time trials...

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Thomas Garvey <tgarvey-aP4BoU9uSdHQT0dZR+***@public.gmane.org>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>
Date: 10/15/2014 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: What OS feature is OPNQRYF?
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>

Post by James H. H. Lampert
Post by Thomas Garvey
Anyone know how to find out what OS licensed program and feature code is
necessary for OPNQRYF to function on v6 of the OS?
I was always under the impression that it's always been part of the base OS.
Am I mistaken?
--
JHHL
list
Thomas Garvey

r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 16:53:00 UTC
You know, you could port the joblog to code.midrange.com and all but what
it really comes down to is one of two actions:
1 - Pay IBM for that option, get a key, and install the key.
2 - Remove that option from this system.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

midrange
2014-10-15 17:14:58 UTC
Since you mentioned journaling, what journaling is going on with the objects
involved in the opnqryf (the queried file(s), temp / new file, the library)
?

Jim

Thomas Garvey
2014-10-15 17:33:08 UTC
The OPNQRYF is just over a normal, non-temporary, database file. The
file does contain data extracted from journals however. But the OPNQRYF
couldn't know that or care.

Thomas Garvey
CRPence
2014-10-18 14:23:40 UTC
Post by Thomas Garvey
My reason for asking is that a process is sending a message that IBM
software 5761SS1 feature 5117 has 0 users authorized and 71 days,
etc. 5117 (on a v6 system) is supposed to be the High Availability
Journal Performance feature.
So the message is being issued by\from the job that is performing the
OPNQRYF, and transpires at the same time as the OPNQRYF request? And
that [still unknown] message identifier is being sent to the QSYSOPR or
to the QHST, or is logged within the joblog of the requesting job? If
the latter, then what is the full context of the messaging
[from-program, to-program, et al], all of which is available in the
spooled joblog when filtered with LOG(4 0 *SECLVL)? The F6=Print of the
message when viewed using F1=Help could instead provide the context of
the specific message, but would not also provide the fuller context with
regard to what might have transpired just before or after that specific
message that a log\joblog of messages might provide.
Post by Thomas Garvey
However, the process is not using any journal commands but has an
OPNQRYF command being used.
So, I'm wondering how an expiration message for a HA Journaling
Performance LP would occur when an OPNQRYF command should be
running.
Maybe the 5117 feature that is installed but not yet expired, was
referenced by the Open Query File (OPNQRYF) request because the query
feature had decided to take advantage of some support that the 5117
feature offers. While anyone outside of the query development within
IBM might not see any obvious reason for the query feature to have done
so, they are probably more informed of the potential capabilities that
the feature 5117 might offer to any particular query. Having all the
details of the jobs operating against the data access by that query, the
details of the physical file storing that data, and the details of the
other files in the database file network, might help to expose why the
query feature might try to access the capabilities of the feature 5117.
Journaling of any of the data in the DBF network might give cause to
the query to try to access some capability of that Journaling feature;
if an query Open Data Path (ODP) is update capable, and commitment
control is not being used, then possibly even more likely that the
capabilities of the 5117 feature could be applicable, such that the
Query feature might try to perform some operation using the 5117 feature.

However, even us mere mortals can figure-out what the query feature
is doing to cause the message to be issued, and possibly even infer why
the 5117 feature is being referenced. If the origin of the message is
either directly, or even indirectly, being issued due to something that
the OPNQRYF processing does, then the job can be traced to either see
what originating the messaging or to figure out what request caused
another process to inform of the reference to the [apparently expiring]
5117 feature. The library that supports the [apparently expiring] 5117
feature, or the information repository of that feature, possibly could
be made unavailable momentarily to help force the traced request to
better reveal the path that leads to an attempt to use the 5117 feature;
or just a close review of the invocations of the OS Software Product
Licensing (SZ) component and the timings of those invocations with
respect to the messaging could reveal that path.
Post by Thomas Garvey
It occurred to me that the LP that includes OPNQRYF might not
actually be in use or active at this client since OPNQRYF is kind of
ancient methodology.
As noted in other replies, the OPNQRYF is part of the base Operating
System (OS); no OPTION() nor any Licensed Program Product (LPP) being
required, beyond the LIC and OS, for an Open Query File (OPNQRYF)
request to operate properly.

Even if the OPNQRYF is directly responsible for the warning message
being issued, because the OPNQRYF requires *no* additional features to
function, once the 5117 feature is removed, the OPNQRYF would continue
to function. If not, then likely there is a defect.

I am unsure what is meant by that above quoted comment; hopefully my
prior comment, just above, resolves whatever concerns were expressed.
If not, I will try to elaborate:

The implication of the quoted comment seems [to me] to be that the
issue might have been perceived as being with a software feature that
provides the OPNQRYF, versus being seen correctly for what is the actual
issue. The actual issue being notified, is that there is an installed
5117 feature for which a lack of licenses\licensed-users will prevent
[after some days, due to an expiration] any reference to that installed
5117 feature. So while the implication is that the use of the OPNQRYF
is suspect to give rise to the described messaging [a warning about the
feature 5117], the _origin_ of the messaging is really somewhat moot.

Even if the OPNQRYF gives rise to such a warning\messaging, the base
issue remains, such that the installed feature 5117 is not generally
available for use. Either the licensing needs to be made available to
the installed 5117 feature or the 5117 feature needs to be uninstalled,
in order _to prevent all warnings_ of the impending loss of the
capabilities provided by that 5117 feature. Whether the warnings result
directly from some invocation(s) of OPNQRYF, are merely timed
coincidentally with those invocations, or result [in]directly from some
other [non-OPNQRYF] invocation elsewhere on the system, that "actual
issue" remains the same; i.e. the 5117 feature either needs to be
licensed for use, or the feature will become unavailable for use [due to
either the expired licensing or possibly someone having issued Delete
Licensed Program Product (DLTLICPGM), perhaps because there is no
intention of purchasing any licenses in order to prevent the messaging].
--
Regards, Chuck
Thomas Garvey
2014-10-19 04:42:39 UTC
More info uncovered...

It's not the OPNQRYF generating the message (misleading info from client).

It's a job that is trying to reorganize a physical file (to squeeze out
deleted records) and first creates a journal and receiver, starts
journaling the file to that new journal,
executes the rgzpfm command, then stops journaling and removes the
journal and receiver.
It presumably does this because the file is still being updated when the
rgzpfm is executed and it's desirable that the reorg can be optionally
cancelled.

So, it IS the journaling feature that is causing the license warning
message.

I've asked the client to check with IBM about the license entitlement
and whether it's been applied correctly (I think it's possible to apply
a license but mess up the number of users).

Bottom line, thanks for all responses and advice.

Best Regards,

Thomas Garvey
<www.unpath.com>
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 16:31:00 UTC
I tend to agree that it is part of the base OS. It was available long
before STRSQL and the whole 57##ST1 package existed.

I am curious as to why you are asking. Are you finding someone who
doesn't have it? Hate to think that someone renamed or secured that one.
Especially since running it outside of a program is as rare as hen's
teeth.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

CRPence
2014-10-16 15:06:30 UTC
Post by Thomas Garvey
Anyone know how to find out what OS licensed program and feature code
is necessary for OPNQRYF to function on v6 of the OS? <<SNIP>>
That information can be found, by reviewing the output from the
requests of both DSPOBJD and DMPOBJ of the Command object; explained
how, later in my reply, if interested, given the impetus of the inquiry
seems to have changed after some followup replies.

Regardless, I can state definitively in response to the "Subject:"
question, that the Open Query File (OPNQRYF) feature is part of the base
Operating System. Thus the feature is available immediately after the
LIC and OS has been installed. Nothing else is required to be installed
beyond the OS, to use the OPNQRYF feature; no options of the OS, not
even the mandatory option(01) with QSYS2, nor even the QGPL and QUSRSYS
need be installed. Some additional options of the OS could allow the
OPNQRYF to perform [to implement] queries differently than if those
additional options were not installed; e.g. either of the DB2 SMP option
or DB2 MultiSystem might enable the OPNQRYF to perform functions and\or
perform functions with a level of capabilities, that would be
unavailable until the option\feature had been installed.

The Display Object Description (DSPOBJD) for the *SERVICE DETAIL()
information will show that "Licensed program" matches the installed OS.

The OPTION() of the OS is stored as a four-byte character value at
offset x/0084 in the .SERVICE- information of the Dump Object (DMPOBJ)
of the command definition. Perform an F16=Find for the undelimited
string value '.SERVICE-' in the Display Spooled File (DSPSPLF) of the
spooled file QPSRVDMP as the dump output; a few lines of data further
down, the line starting with the undelimited string value two blanks and
'000080' should show EBCDIC hex string that defines the primary National
Language Version (NLV) identifier and the Option identifier, as the
first eight bytes of data:

DMPOBJ QSYS/OPNQRYF *CMD
DSPSPLF QPSRVDMP SPLNBR(*LAST)
/* F16=Find on .SERVICE- will appear much like: */
.SERVICE-
000000 [...]
000020 [...]
[...]
000080 F2F9F2F4 F0F0F0F0 [...]

From the above output, the dumped *CMD object was installed with the
NLV2924 which is USEnglish, and the OPTION(0000) which is identical to
the OPTION(*BASE).
--
Regards, Chuck