Hosting IBMi on i and PowerHA
Graap, Kenneth
2014-10-23 18:20:06 UTC
Does anyone have any experience with IBMi on i , as described below, in a PowerHA environment?

Specifically I'm wondering how the failing over of a virtual IBMi partition to another physical server might work and if it would carry *SYSBAS as well as iASP storage with it ????

My thoughts are that the Network Storage Object associated with the IBMi on i virtual partition could be stored in an iASP. That iASP could be swapped from one hardware server to another hardware server and then the virtual partition could be restarted on the 2nd (HA) server. The intent of doing it this way is that ALL the data associated with the virtual partition could be mirrored to the other server using Geographic Mirroring, Metro Mirror or Global Mirror...

1.1 IBM i logical partition (LPAR) hosting another IBM i partition

An IBM i 6.1/7.1 LPAR can host one or more additional IBM i LPARs, known as virtual client LPARs. Virtual client partitions typically have no physical I/O hardware assigned and instead leverage virtual I/O resources from the host IBM i partition. The types of hardware resources that can be virtualized by the host LPAR are disk, tape, optical and networking. The capability of IBM i to provide virtual I/O resources has been used successfully for several years to integrate AIX(r), Linux(r) and Microsoft(r) Windows(r) workloads on the same platform. The same virtualization technology, which is part of the IBM i operating system, can now be used to host IBM i LPARs. IBM i hosting IBM i is the focus of the first half of this paper.

1.2 IBM i using open storage as a client of the Virtual I/O Server (VIOS)
IBM i virtual client partitions can also be hosted by VIOS. VIOS is virtualization software that runs in a separate partition with the purpose to provide virtual storage, optical, tape and networking resources to one or more client partitions. The most immediate benefit that VIOS brings to an IBM i client partition is the ability to expand its storage portfolio to use 512-byte/sector open storage. Open storage volumes (or logical units, LUNs) are physically attached to VIOS through a FC or a Serial-attached SCSI (SAS) connection and then made available to IBM i. While IBM i does not directly attach to the storage area network (SAN) in this case, as soon as open storage LUNs become available through VIOS, they are managed the same way as integrated disks or LUNs from a directly attached sto
rage system. IBM i using open storage through VIOS is the focus of the second half of this read-me first guide.

Kenneth
Kenneth E. Graap
NW Natural
System Administrator for IBM Power Systems
503.226.4211 x5537
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kennethgraap
P***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-23 18:48:29 UTC
No experience doing it but the concept is there. IBM has told me they have customers doing it but I would only look at it with very small workloads. Your thoughts are correct, just keep in mind every disk write i/o is going to be sent over the wire including a large amount of initial writes to get the source/target that might fill the IP connection for awhile....

Patrick Bingham | Principal, Converged Infrastructure Architect
Office: 402-965-2381 | Mobile: 402-212-2944 patrick.bingham-***@public.gmane.org
Sirius Computer Solutions | www.siriuscom.com
14301 FNB Parkway, Suite 400, Omaha, NE 68154

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
or email: MIDRANGE-L-request-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. This message may be viewed by parties at Sirius Computer Solutions other than those named in the message header. This message does not contain an official representation of Sirius Computer Solutions. If you have received this communication in error, notify Sirius Computer Solutions immediately and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately
if this is an electronic communication. Thank you.

Sirius Computer Solutions<http://www.siriuscom.com>
DrFranken
2014-10-23 21:34:50 UTC
It works and it's very cool. You have a lot to think about for example
when you fail over all the software om the machine will bark about keys
being wrong. We talked to folks like TAATools and BVSTools and ProData
etc and came up with ways to make this work. IBM i is easy as the keys
are in a repository for those, just put in both sets.

Which IPs come up at IPL? Change the Startup Job.

The steps to switch over are very straight up.

The impact to the application are near zero. VERY near zero.

With i 7.2 as the host it seems even better. The NWSSTG is a bit
different on 7.2.

Jim O. and I are going to write a COMMON session about this as we're
both having success doing this.

Don't get to crazy big and keep the commm channel open wide.

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com