Anybody know a good scheduled diagnostic service?
James H. H. Lampert
2014-10-10 18:46:37 UTC
Would anybody here happen to know of an outside service that could
periodically check the web servers running on our AS/400, and send us an
email alert if there's an unscheduled outage?

We have a diagnostic that emails us status reports twice a day, but last
weekend, sometime after the Sunday afternoon status report went out, but
before we arrived Monday morning, our internet connection went down, and
we evidently didn't find out about it until we got some complaints from
overseas.

--
JHHL
Jeff Crosby
2014-10-10 18:51:48 UTC
Does www.site24x7.com do what you want? They have a free plan that we've
used for years.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM, James H. H. Lampert <
jamesl-6/ELSmrcqeUu8xhjR5IN5AC/***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Would anybody here happen to know of an outside service that could
> periodically check the web servers running on our AS/400, and send us an
> email alert if there's an unscheduled outage?
>
> We have a diagnostic that emails us status reports twice a day, but last
> weekend, sometime after the Sunday afternoon status report went out, but
> before we arrived Monday morning, our internet connection went down, and we
> evidently didn't find out about it until we got some complaints from
> overseas.
>
> --
> JHHL
> --

Jeff Crosby
VP Information Systems
UniPro FoodService/Dilgard
P.O. Box 13369
Ft. Wayne, IN 46868-3369
260-422-7531
www.dilgardfoods.com

company. Unless I say so.
James H. H. Lampert
2014-10-15 15:41:46 UTC
On 10/10/14 11:51 AM, Jeff Crosby wrote:
> Does www.site24x7.com do what you want? They have a free plan that we've
> used for years.

Thanks, Mr. Crosby.

Works beautifully. I now have a free account with four monitors, and the
detailed reports are quite impressive, especially for "free."

--
JHHL

Bradley Stone
2014-10-15 15:44:24 UTC
I've been using UptimeRobot.com for a while now as well. Neat site, works
great. Free you get a few monitors. I forget how many but I run all my
sites on one IBM i so if one is down, they most likely are (ISP normally
the issue).

Brad
www.bvstools.com

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:41 AM, James H. H. Lampert <

Norm Dennis
2014-10-15 16:05:38 UTC
Free?
You haven't receive Jeff's invoice yet ;-)

Cheers,

Norm Dennis

On 10/10/14 11:51 AM, Jeff Crosby wrote:
> Does www.site24x7.com do what you want? They have a free plan that
> we've used for years.

Thanks, Mr. Crosby.

Works beautifully. I now have a free account with four monitors, and the
detailed reports are quite impressive, especially for "free."

--
JHHL

-----
No virus found in this message.
-----
No virus found in this message.

Jeff Crosby
2014-10-15 16:16:06 UTC
Beer.

:)

Jeff Crosby
2014-10-15 16:15:48 UTC
Ha! I answered a question instead of asking one. Woo hoo!

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 11:41 AM, James H. H. Lampert <

Roger Harman
2014-10-10 18:54:26 UTC
I've used WhatsUp Gold in the past.

Roger Harman
2014-10-10 18:57:29 UTC
Ooops..... Missed that you wanted outside service. Don't think they offer that.

We used it internally for servers, routers, temperature sensing, etc.....

Jon Paris
2014-10-10 19:05:24 UTC
We use Monitis (Monitis.com) in part because we wanted to have monitoring from outside North America as well as inside. The European monitor sometimes diagnoses outages that the US one does not - break in the chain somewhere I guess. Works well for us.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

Ken Sims
2014-10-10 20:15:43 UTC
I also use Site24x7's free monitoring service, for monitoring my own
website and my sister's website.

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:51:48 -0400, Jeff Crosby
<jlcrosby-F80Zt/***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

>Does www.site24x7.com do what you want? They have a free plan that we've
>used for years.
>

>On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM, James H. H. Lampert <
>jamesl-6/ELSmrcqeUu8xhjR5IN5AC/***@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Would anybody here happen to know of an outside service that could
>> periodically check the web servers running on our AS/400, and send us an
>> email alert if there's an unscheduled outage?
>>
>> We have a diagnostic that emails us status reports twice a day, but last
>> weekend, sometime after the Sunday afternoon status report went out, but
>> before we arrived Monday morning, our internet connection went down, and we
>> evidently didn't find out about it until we got some complaints from
>> overseas.
>>
>> --
>> JHHL

Ken
Pete Helgren
2014-10-10 20:23:55 UTC
I use Nagios and have it send me a text if any of the servers goes down,
including my i.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java

Aaron Bartell
2014-10-15 15:56:27 UTC
I am a fan of pingdom.com. They also have a mobile app.

Aaron Bartell

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM, James H. H. Lampert <