IFS "reorg"
Mike Cunningham
2014-10-22 18:05:10 UTC
We are in the process of deleting a lot of old unused files from the IFS. If I were to do that for a database file I would run a RGZPFM at some point after to free up the deleted record space. Is there a command that should be run against the IFS if you do a lot of file deletions or does it manage itself really well?
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-22 18:11:29 UTC
(Please read the whole reply, let me have a little fun at first and then I
get serious)

Um, think about what you said.
If you deleted a bunch of DB2 files you would then run a RGZPFM. I've
found it quite hard to RGZPFM a file that no longer exists. How do you
get that done? :-)
IOW, deleting a table is a lot different than deleting rows in a table.

I suppose if you were running a S/36 you could try a COMPACT command.

But, seriously though, if it was REALLY significant you may want to
consider researching TRCASPBAL and STRASPBAL.

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

From: Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham-***@public.gmane.org>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>
Date: 10/22/2014 02:06 PM
Subject: IFS "reorg"
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces-Zwy7GipZuJhWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org>

We are in the process of deleting a lot of old unused files from the IFS.
If I were to do that for a database file I would run a RGZPFM at some
point after to free up the deleted record space. Is there a command that
should be run against the IFS if you do a lot of file deletions or does it
manage itself really well?
list
Bradley Stone
2014-10-22 18:19:19 UTC
I think you mean a "de-fragmentation" more than a "reorg".

I wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

Brad
www.bvstools.com
Mike Cunningham
2014-10-22 18:19:39 UTC
Thanks - probably have too much windows on the brain. My question did read weird after I read it again. Deleting an IFS object is the same as deleting a database table object. Unless you work with MS Sharepoint where putting a file in a folder is actually adding a record to a database table and deleting a file from a folder is deleting a record from a table. I had forgotten about the ASP Balance command which is probably the closest thing to windows disk reorg. Thanks for the reminder

CRPence
2014-10-22 20:21:18 UTC
Post by Mike Cunningham
We are in the process of deleting a lot of old unused files
from the IFS. <<SNIP>> Is there a command that should be run
against the IFS if you do a lot of file deletions or does it
manage itself really well?
I am unsure of the implementation of the *DIR object [more that I am
unsure of my recollections, and I have no capabilities to investigate]
but there could be a concern like with a Library (*LIB) object whereby
if the largest number of objects in or under the directory is expected
never again to reach such a large number, then there may be some value
in re-creating the directory [as might be the case for re-creating a
Library]. If a particular directory will be [nearly] completely
emptied, then easy enough to look at the Display Attributes information
for the directory before starting the deletions, then again after the
deletions, and finally again after a re-create of the directory; if the
there is little significant or no reduction in size after the deletions
but there is significant reduction in size after the re-creation of the
directory, then there is likely potential storage to be reclaimed by
re-creating a directory that was since pruned of a large number of
objects. Obviously if the directory size returns to or approaches the
size seen prior to the deletions, after moving back or inserting a
number of files that would be expected to reflect the typical number of
objects [that would eventually reside] in that directory, then the value
of re-creating the directory is more appropriately calculated from the
difference between those sizes rather the difference between the
pre-deletion size and the re-created size.
--
Regards, Chuck
r***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-23 13:43:43 UTC