520 disk failure
John McKee
2014-10-23 21:05:29 UTC
Several mont, that hs ago, I wondered about what would happen if we had a
drive failure (4326). I was reassured that, despite the small size, that
replacements were available.

Last night, a little after 5 PM, a drive did fail.

It has been replaced, and rebuild has completed.

But, I thought it odd that seven drives start with 68 and the failed drive
started with 21. Turns out, from the log, that a previous drive failure
was in the same position.

Is that typical?

Came at a nice point. People above were thinking of dropping maintenance
at end of year. Nice to have a reminder just how worthwhile hardware
maintenance contract can be, without a disasterous system failure. We
recently experienced that on a DEC Alpha system. I wasn't involved with
it, but recovery was not immediately possible.

John McKee
Nathan Andelin
2014-10-23 21:22:32 UTC
Post by John McKee
But, I thought it odd that seven drives start with 68 and the failed drive
started with 21.
Are you saying that all but one of the the serial numbers start with "68"?
Post by John McKee
Turns out, from the log, that a previous drive failure
was in the same position.
Is that typical?
I have only had 1 Drive fail ever, so it's hard to say what's typical.
John McKee

Holger Scherer
2014-10-23 21:23:54 UTC
Most 36G drives are 8yrs or older - they are not produced any longer.
If you’re lucky, your replacement drive is a rather „new“ 140G drive
flashed to 36G. Ask your maintenance contractor to have at least two
drives on site in your data center.
On the other hand, 36G drives can be sometimes found in the bay for less
than 40 bucks...

used marked here in europe is sometimes weird - we opted to buy
a lot of used hardware to have spare parts. So we have 200+ drives 36G, 70G
in stock, 50+ of 140G etc, just to be prepared.

-h
John McKee

Before posting, please take a moment to review the
DrFranken
2014-10-23 21:27:26 UTC
NOT to worry. Those two digits simply indicate country of origin. So
these two drives came from different countries. Drives from 21 and 68
are very popular in that size. For multiple drive failures in the same
slot, yes I've seen that. It is POSSIBLE (not probable) that there is a
slot problem there. If another one fails in that same slot you may want
to bring that up to your maintenance provider to investigate.

As to availability, yes I got lots. :-)

- Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis

www.frankeni.com
www.iDevCloud.com
www.iInTheCloud.com
John McKee
2014-10-24 02:07:52 UTC
I did bring it up to the IBM CE. He thought it was odd as well and checked
logs. I know I will be looking at disk status more regularly. Original
contact person did not include his phone number - sent to local computer
operator. But, that was when we had operators. Now, when IBM calls that
number, it is forwarded to an office 550 miles away, to a group that knows
nothing about the system. Almost as bad as calling a help center and
getting redirected to some location in India. Can't be pleasant for the CE
to call a number and get no useful contact.

John McKee